[Xmca-l] Re: Meaning extended from index to Correspondence

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 15:36:09 PDT 2016

Henry:

It was a joke. A lot of Huineng's adventures have to do with his
inheritance of the Fifth Patriarch's resplendent prayer shawl and his
golden (!) begging bowl--he has to flee an army of jealous monks who want
to steal them, and he simply goes back to his humble wood-cutting way sand
his homespun clothes.

But it was a serious joke. I think all religions have a basic
contradiction. It's not the usual ones that religious people worry about
(e.g. how do you squrae the omnipotence of God with the omnipresence of
evil), it's the problem of conveying what are essentially literate ways of
thinking to people who are not yet literate (because people who are fully
literate tend to move well past religion in their explanations of
phenomena).

One way they do this is to dress up written texts as spoken ones, and one
amusing way they do this is to ascrbe written texts to people who could not
themselves read or write. Given the time and place where he lived (and
given the lack of any written text authored by him), Christ was certainly,
like Muhammad, illiterate--the books of Moses were--ostentatiously, since
they include the death of Moses--not written by Moses, and nor were the
psalms of David by Bathsheba's second husband.

I think that Hui-neng presents a similar problem. He has to present an
essentially written body of knowledge to people who cannot read or write
themselves. He solves it through a somewhat demagogic and disingenuous
anti-intellectualism. For example, he wants to make Buddhism into a
religion that does not require years of contemplative retreat and can be
combined with productive, tithe-paying activity. So he writes:

In life, sit without lying
In death, lie without sitting
In both, a bag of bones that stink!
In neither the great lesson of living.

(Poor Huineng! He was mummified sitting up, and his bag of stinking bones
is still kept in Namshan Temple near Guangzhou!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huineng#/media/File:Huineng.jpg

David Kellogg
Macquarie University

All religions confront this basthe omnipostence