[Xmca-l] Re: Life off grid - communitas?

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Tue Oct 27 07:55:32 PDT 2015

Mike, Huw, Greg,
I have just read Latour's wonderful and provocative exploration of the
disconnect between earth and earthlings and his sense that we have lost the
sense of the *sublime* and must search for an answer in
rearranging emerging  assemblances imagined AS  nodes, tapestries, and
weaving strands of being/becoming.

Latour wants to "bridge" the gap [the disconnect] with earthlings on one
side and Gaia on the other side. Gaia's fundamental feature is that of the
"trickster".

Greg sent a link to living off the grid and asked if this expressed
*communitas*? I experienced the examples as very heroic and trusting in
being rugged individualism.

I hope we can engage with this thread. I will point out that Latour
emphasized there are no nodes, knots, weaves, and TAPESTRIES without the
open spaces, and I want to call attention to this fact. My imaginal *spaces
as places* asks if we must envision SHARED LOCAL PLACES where there exist
*inter (-) mediate* assembled assemblances  where the STRONG Ich [capital
I] becomes the WEAK ich [small I] which opens up imaginal *third* spaces
for *du* [intimate you]. Spaces of shared dialogue where Gaia as
trickster/Hermes is honoured. A place of hope and dread with always a gap.
The place of intervals and "ma".
Latour is engendering grand narratives/myths with *disconnects* [as falling
away from ...]. A neo-Platonic myth.
Larry