[Xmca-l] Re: Resending LSV/ANL on crisis in ontogengy

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Sun Mar 22 11:11:53 PDT 2015

Hard to get me to disagree with any of that. And yes, the issues are dealt
with in a very interesting way in the most recent issue of MCA in Martin's
review essay of Tomasello.
People should pester martin for the review, perhaps  a draft of it posted
to the list.

I think we all have a tendency to get confused when thinking about such
matters because of the non-linearity of culturally mediated thought/action.
We talk about/inuit "facing the future" when in fact when can only face the
past, except through a process of imaginative prolepsis.

I was wondering just this morning whether or not the notion of a
"bio-social behavioral shift in a culturally organized context" might serve
as a germ cell for understanding the notion of
"crisis" in LSV's theory of ontogenetic development. Gotta dig out some
text on that way of looking at things.

>From notes below i gather that the interpretive process of the active
person is in the SSD pari parsu with changes in the institutional
arrangement of their lives. Is that right, Peg/Martin?
mike