[Xmca-l] Re: Resending LSV/ANL on crisis in ontogengy

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Sun Mar 22 20:24:09 PDT 2015

I'm not sure who's who  in this part of your note, Mike: " From notes below i gather that the interpretive process of the active
person is in the SSD pari parsu with changes in the institutional arrangement of their lives. Is that right, Peg/Martin?"

By active person do you mean, for example, the child in Leontiev example shopping example or do you mean the adults who are enacting the interactions (and constituting the SSD)?
And I'm not sure about interpretive process.  I'm not sure what that kind of process is and what "counts" as one in the wild.  I suspect that it might be exactly where the "merely understood" comes in:  The child might be able to give a performance of the words about the motive of school but it isn't really effective for self- or other- organization of his behaviors so the other folks in the SSD have back-up really effective motives ready to roll out.  Something about expert and novice roles in SSDs might be relevant…

I was so happy to be reminded of the wonderful diverse world by Andy's post from Barbara Rogoff's book (Rogoff, B. (2003). The cultural nature of human development. NY: Oxford University Press) .
I’m appending here another little snippet about her work that includes a photo of an 11 month old "skillfully using a machete" -- I am thinking hard about that little one's monitoring grandmother and the enculturation routines and backups that her culture has passed down to her for that social situation of development.
http://people.ucsc.edu/~brogoff/William%20James%20Award.pdf
Peg
-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2015 2:12 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Resending LSV/ANL on crisis in ontogengy

Hard to get me to disagree with any of that. And yes, the issues are dealt with in a very interesting way in the most recent issue of MCA in Martin's review essay of Tomasello.
People should pester martin for the review, perhaps  a draft of it posted to the list.

I think we all have a tendency to get confused when thinking about such matters because of the non-linearity of culturally mediated thought/action.
We talk about/inuit "facing the future" when in fact when can only face the past, except through a process of imaginative prolepsis.

I was wondering just this morning whether or not the notion of a "bio-social behavioral shift in a culturally organized context" might serve as a germ cell for understanding the notion of "crisis" in LSV's theory of ontogenetic development. Gotta dig out some text on that way of looking at things.

>From notes below i gather that the interpretive process of the active
person is in the SSD pari parsu with changes in the institutional arrangement of their lives. Is that right, Peg/Martin?
mike

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal as a natural science with an object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.