[Xmca-l] Re: Resending LSV/ANL on crisis in ontogengy

Peg Griffin Peg.Griffin@att.net
Sun Mar 22 11:03:21 PDT 2015

Thanks for thinking about that, Martin.
What I'm really hoping is that  you have time to look over the Bozhovich
(2004) that Mike appended and see if/how it hits on the important constructs
you mentioned being needed in response to Tomasello and colleagues' work.
PG

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu
[mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Martin John Packer
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2015 1:55 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Resending LSV/ANL on crisis in ontogengy

Well, Peg, I would say that children of different ages/stages have different
understandings of the rights and responsibilities that operate in their
social world. The personal relationships within the family differ from the
impersonal roles of the school. One key aspect of development is the series
of transitions in which a child grasps with deepening sophistication this
normative dimension. Part of this will be the instructions, intentions, and
desires of other people, but this is only part of the story, imho.

Martin

On Mar 22, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Peg Griffin <Peg.Griffin@att.net> wrote:

> Thanks for calling attention to the Bozhovich (2004), Mike.   Nice to
notice the play of drives and SSDs, in it, especially.
> When the child is organized  in/by an SSD, could we say there is learning
going on that might lead to development?  But at first it isn't development,
just learning?  (And/or can we say the child/adolescent starts with "merely
understood" but not "really effective" motives?)  So the a child might do
something because "mommy says so" and when a teacher comes into it her life
she might  add or switch to "teacher says so" and add or switch what's being
done, too.  Sort of disappointing (maybe even embarrassing perhaps to the
teacher) but the child is organized by and acting "as if" they are
participants in/co-constructors of the school SSD.  So there's a ground that
the figure might develop in, a petri dish type of culture for the child's
future...
> I like to think of the morphology of the word "organ-ize" -- the child is
a different organ when they get to develop so that the motive of/in the SSD
is really effective.

> I'm hoping Martin Packer will link it to his points in his post about
Tomasello...

> Peg
>
> PS  Maybe it's my old age but I get a kick out of reading a highlighted
PDF -- get the feeling of a sort of  illicit reading over someone's
shoulder!  It's in real contrast to the annoyance I used to get from paper
copies with other folks' highlighting or underlining.