[Xmca-l] Re: "Scaling up" and "Big ideas"

Greg Mcverry jgregmcverry@gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 15:22:56 PDT 2015

Greg,

I borrow heavily from the software development field that has been
influencing my thinking on providing open access education.

Most specifically are Mozilla's efforts to teach the web. We have a goal of
1,500 volunteers in 500 cities running Mozilla Web Clubs to help the next
billion get online.

This effort is especially focused on the developing world that is going
mobile first.

As a community we have been trying to establish a set of competencies and
skills <http://webliteracy.tumblr.com/>, develop curriculum
<https://mozilla.github.io/webmaker-curriculum/WebLiteracyBasics-I/>, build
a club system <http://michellethorne.cc/2015/03/clubs-whats-next/>and a
badging platform.

So I use the term federated instead of viral on purpose. Viral is more the
user sharing content and we are shaping content for the user to fork and
adapt.