[Xmca-l] Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Thu Mar 12 14:16:53 PDT 2015

I apologize for penning/pinning the word, vulgar on you, David. My fault
entirely. I was thinking of the term vulgar marxism and thinking about the
relation of means/relations of production to the s-o versus s-s contrast in
your note which I think is central.

As I wrote in an earlier note in this thread, I think that the question you
are raising between crude and lets call them more refined elaborations of
CHAT ideas are central to the much larger question of the historical
relations between human activities and their means.

So, thanks for catching me up on using language that can be taken as
inflamatory.
Maybe crude can be so taken, but it works for me.

As you noted in an earlier message, the forms of instruction (obuchenie)
implemented in typical language labs when I was a grad student treat the
form of learning involved as a-social....... its all between the individual
(subject) and the pre-defined set of learning goals embodied (in the case
of a language lab) in presumed mastery of the materials...... as measured
by later, ordinarily written exams.

I would never have thought about these in relation to AT, and Leontiev (and
his son!) railed against such practices, because they were typical "S-R
theorist" fantasies. But in so far as they appear in pedagogical
arrangements purporting to use a chat analysis, they count as very crude to
me. I still need to check the examples, but I assume they all fit.

It clearly will be difficult to get people to read your book as entry point
to the discussion, David. I believe some of your own work in second
language instruction would provide a lot quicker access. My point in asking
was to try to externalize forms of theory-methodology- practice that avoid
the pitfalls of crude/over-simplified thinking that is merely
recapitulating old errors.

If the topic is of interest to others we can come back to it. Or, if not,
things will amble along
as they do.

mike