[Xmca-l] Re: Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

lpscholar2@gmail.com lpscholar2@gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 14:40:49 PDT 2015

I decided to extract this comment from Mike to David from the multiple possibleopenings offered on this topic.

the vulgar [replace with crude or simple]  AT person reduces mental life to a subject-object dualism in which
the fact of an always present subject-subject (essential!) relationship is
obliterated in one way or another.
I expect that each of your examples will show problem in its own way, but
the directionality of the reduction is clear.

I believe that this is a common interpretation of Leontiev's form of AT.
The Rubenshteinians' slogan was "All to the subject" in protest.

Mike, you then mentioned trying to bring together reciprocal interactions [Simmel’s approach] when you concluded with the statement:

I think a common approach to making both subject-object/and subject-subject relations
BOTH a part of our analyses would be a positive step. Then we might be able
to complexify.

The topic of the place of the “symbolic” [as in symbolic interaction] and its relation to ??

[is the symbolic in relation to the actual or the material or the real??].

I found it significant that David was referring us not to texts but to “diagrams” of the “subject-object” relationships/interactions.  The power of “diagrams”  [as drawing/figures] to indicate the symbolic/realistic interactions.

To complexify is to create a “site” [a third space] to ALSO bring in the Rubenshteinian slogan [ALL to the subject] as well as Zinchenko's notion of “oscillation”.

Gadamer’s approach also complexified the concept of hermeneutics by engaging with "art” and “dialogue” that questioned the “objective status of objects of interpretation and thus renders questionable the objectivity of the interpretation itself” [cited by Richard Palmer]

There was great push back to Gadamer’s approach as it did not offer a preconceived “method” or methodology for engaging with the humane studies. It was exploring the basis of all method.

Larry

Sent from Windows Mail