[Xmca-l] Re: Why Computers Make So Little Difference

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 13:45:45 PDT 2015

I confess to being quite uncomfortable with Mike's substitution of "vulgar"
for my "crude". Structurally, a theory that is "crude" is simple (e.g. a
theory that does not distinguish between signs and tools but lumps them
both under the single category of "artifact") but a theory that is "vulgar"
can be very complex indeed (e.g. pornography as a model of sexuality, or
sit-coms as a model of family relations). Functionally, a theory that is
crude works extremely well for a limited number of applications (e.g.
behaviorism, which is actually a pretty good description of the lower
psychological functions) but a theory which is vulgar is in some ways the
opposite: widespread because it works badly for a very large number of
applications (e.g. bureaucracy). Above all, though, they are different
genetically: a crude theory is one that has just begun and is in the
process of being refined, while a vulgar theory is one that is clearly in
decline.

I'm even more uncomfortable with the idea that I am supposed to name the
names of "vulgar" AT people and suggest exemplars of subtle and refined
practitioners.  Actually, when I gave references from MCA, I wasn't passing
judgment on the authors or even on their articles; the page references I
refer to are neither authors nor articles but only diagrammes which either:

a) do not distinguish between tools (subject-to-object) and signs
(subject-to-subject)
b) DO distinguish between an "object" and an "outcome", and/or
c) treat the use of signs as the acting of a subject upon an object rather
than the action of one human consciousness upon another.

I admit that I sort of deserved this, because my initial post used
rhetorical tropes like "your average psychotic serial killer" and drew
heavily on personal experience instead of sticking to a fairly generic
attack on the usual culprits (e.g. bureaucracy and positivism). In any
case, turn about is fair play--there was a fair a mount of my yanking
everybody's chain (or rather their extension cord) in the subject line of
this thread. But there is a real problem: how do we make our contributions
to xmca colorful and readable without annoying others? How to start a
lively discussion without starting flame wars? I think, actually, Helena's
idea of not apostrophizing anybody is, at bottom, a good one, but the fact
that I just broke it without really meaning to shows that it is not very
practical.

Mike also invites me to name works that I consider exemplary: now here is a
trap I will gladly fall into. I am not sure this is the best one, Mike, but
it is certainly the book I turn to most often and the one that I know best
(for example, I was teaching it last night in my wildly unpopular course on
story telling). More, it is the book I find it hardest to live up to:

https://www.sensepublishers.com/media/2096-the-great-globe-and-all-who-it-inherit.pdf

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies