[Xmca-l] Re: Can symbols help people learning to read?

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Wed Mar 11 03:25:14 PDT 2015

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Stories-Literacy-Lessons-Carolyn/dp/0435082116
If by symbols you mean that drawings constitute a form a pre-writing, this book might help.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+smago=uga.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+smago=uga.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2015 2:00 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Cc: Mike B
Subject: [Xmca-l] Can symbols help people learning to read?

I am forwarding this message from a good friend who has a question about literacy education.
If you know of research on this question, perhaps you could cc Mike B.
in your reply.
***
My sister is in the education field and she is looking for theory and research to refute an influential paper which claims introducing symbols to non-readers actually hampers their ability to develop literacy skills. The little I have read on AT and semiotics seems to at least indicate that under certain conditions, symbols can aid literacy. But I am looking for something specific and/or definite.
***
Andy