[Xmca-l] Re: Can symbols help people learning to read?

Helen Harper helen.harper@bigpond.com
Wed Mar 11 06:10:55 PDT 2015

Hi Andy,

I'm a bit vague about what it is that we're refuting - what kinds of symbols are we talking about? So my contribution may be way off - it's more to do with 'struggling readers' than non-readers per se. I suggest a lovely little book by Max Kemp - very old now, but kind of timeless:

Kemp, M. 1980. “Examining Reading Processes.”  Reading-language processes: assessment and teaching. Australian Reading Association.

I like it as an explanation of the complexities that come into play when we learn to read. The bit about cueing systems is standard stuff, but I think we need to understand it as a basis for any conversation about reading.

Am attaching an extract I copied a few years ago when I was teaching a course and I wanted the students to think about the cognitive load involved in learning to read. I think this was the limit of the number pages I could legally copy and distribute!

Might not be specific enough for your friend's purposes, but it's a nice little piece to share anyway.

Helen