[Xmca-l] Re: "cultivating Minds

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 19:47:01 PST 2015

Mike,
I will follow further in Simmels and Urs Furher's footsteps as this
theme also brings in Ernst Boesch's theory of "symbolic action" which was
developed as a notion that all phenomena [including action] have both
objective and symbolic "aspects". Boesch wrote:

"This 'pervasiveness' of symbolism may be easy to grasp for a psychologist
with psychoanalytic experience or with strong artistic tastes; in my case,
however, although I believe myself to have a bit of both, this insight had
much more 'rational' roots. ... I trace its inception back to the 1963
article 'Raum und Zeit als Valenzsysteme', in which I formulated, for the
first time, the close *interrelatedness of 'valence' *[LP- worth/value ]
and 'structure': the conceptual structuring of space depends, I said, upon
the location of valences [worth/values] - it was the *'wish to return' *which
led to the specification and stability of *places.*"  [cited in "reasons
For a Symbolic Concept of Action" in Culture and Psychology 1997
Volume 3(3): pages 423-431]

I am suggesting that Simmel, Urs Furher, and Ernst Boesch were all
following in the footsteps of the concept of "polyvalence" [multiple worths
and  values] as symbolic actions.

Larry