[Xmca-l] Re: The Ideological Footprint of Artifacts

Avram Rips arips@optonline.net
Sat Jul 4 16:55:33 PDT 2015

Seoul  is number 15,and Karachi Pakistan is the second largest city on earth.

On June 2, 2015, at 5:20 PM, David Kellogg <dkellogg60@gmail.com> wrote:

Dear Larry:

So Zinchenko says that if I go on a journey through the desert and choose
to take a map instead of  an ice-axe I am being an idealist!

Of course, I know that by choosing an ice-axe, I am confusing the error of
taking a tool instead of a symbol with taking the WRONG tool instead of the
RIGHT symbol. But I also think that by choosing an ice-axe I am drawing
some attention to the underlying dishonesty--the demagogy--of a lot of the
criticisms made of Vygotsky--how they are reducible to name-calling
("Idealist!" "Subjectivist!" "Word-Fetishist!")

I suppose the real problem with Zinchenko is the one that Andy's already
pointed to. What makes humans human is that they don't live in an
"environment" that is oblivious to them to which they must adapt or die.
They have the ability to make the environment adapt to them and sometimes
even die--as I am reminded by the potted plant withering on my window
sill. Our nature is really not the same as the nature that animals live in.

It's quite literally a "human' nature; a society is nature humanized
by consciousness. Beyond the ficus dying on my window sill lies Seoul, the
second largest city on earth. When I go out and do my grocery shopping, I
don't take a tool or even a map; I take a mind full of symbols, and the
same thing is true when I go out to "earn" my daily bread. So, as Andy
says, the "environment" has to include an element of human consciousness,
of my consciousness and the consciousness I must share with seventy-five
million other Koreans every time I use a Korean word. If this be idealism,
make the most of it!

There was a good review of my book in the journal "System" recently
(attached). When I got over the warm feeling brought about by
the (apparently heartfelt) praise, I felt slightly irked by the attempt to
link Vygotsky's reading of Hamlet with that of Florensky, who really WAS an
idealist. Florensky's "Hamlet" came out when Vygotsky was nine years old!
But of course the author is right--Florensky, later a priest, a Russian
Orthodox theologian, and ultimately a victim of Stalin's goons, was one of
the founders of the Symbolist movement, and Vygotsky could not help but
have felt his long cool shadow as he wrestled with the question of whether
Hamlet is a psycho-drama (and all the characters but Hamlet are only
symbols) or a socio-drama (and all the characters--with the exception of
the players--are flesh and blood).

Saussure, who did more than anyone to make the insights of the Symbolists
into a coherent world view, said that thought and language, both chaotic,
organize each other through decomposing each other, and of course that's
correct. Saussure's big mistake was to turn his back on the process by
which this happens. And the strangest thing about this mistake is that it
was the very process in which he'd made his own career--historical
linguistics!

David Kellogg