[Xmca-l] Re: Sledgehammers in Mosul

larry smolucha lsmolucha@hotmail.com
Sat Feb 28 14:46:20 PST 2015

Message from Francine:

Shirin,

The polemic that such violence in the name of Islam is a response
to European colonialism, capitalism, and the war in Iraq totally lacks credibility.
There is no doubt that the war in Iraq created the opportunity for the
rise of ISIS. But everyone knows that the animosity between Sunni and Shiite
predates European and U.S. presence in the Middle East.

The pillaging of Constantinople and the Basilica of Hagia Sophia was carried out by
Turks in the name of Islam (in 1453). While many Muslims demand that the
Temple Mount in Jerusalem and the land of Israel be returned to them, using the
same logic how about returning Constantinople to the Europeans?

This is now a post-Said world, thanks to ISIS.