[Xmca-l] Re: Sledgehammers in Mosul

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 19:12:25 PST 2015

I urge people to actually look at the video clip that Helena uploaded.
Highlights:

a) An archaeologist from UCL who points out that at least some of the works
are plaster casts (with rim bars sticking out in places!). The real stuff
is undoubtedly being unloaded for cash on the black market.

b) An art expert from the British Museum who points out that the Winged
Lion of Ninevah is probably the real thing--and one of the very few pieces
of North Iraq's heritage which was not taken either to Baghdad (where the
Americans allowed very similar looting and vandalism after Saddam fell) or
to London, Paris and Berlin. She says that this is "wonderful" for us, but
"pretty rotten" for the locals.

I had an old girlfriend who curated the Iranian art collection at the
British Librarary for a few years. Shortly after Khomeini came to power, an
Iranian student asked to see a priceless Persian manuscript, and my friend
allowed her to take it off to a cubicle. After she left, my friend
discovered that most of the pages of the work were missing; they later
resurfaced in a museum in Teheran.

We had a furious argument about what the student had done; my friend
insisted that the BL was holding works "in trust" for the peoples of the
world. That's all very well, but the British government is witholding the
visas, and the costs of living in London ensure that the only way that a
poor Iranian student can share her country's patrimony with brothers and
sisters back home is to do what that Iranian student did.

But...my friend argued...the stuff may be destroyed. The Iranian mullahs
weren't iconoclasts, but they were already pretty careless and corrupt.
True--but consider the fate of the Dunhuang manuscripts, stolen from the
caves at Mogao in China by Aurel Stein and Paul Perriot. Some of them form
the core of the British Library collection today. Others were bombed to
smithereens in Dresden during the war.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies