[Xmca-l] Re: Fun &Games

Rolf Steier rolfsteier@gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 03:54:36 PDT 2015

I think the distinction between play and fun is a really difficult one to
pin down, but one that I am also interested in. Bateson presents play as a
kind of metacommunicative frame for an activity. ( I may be
mis-remembering, but I believe ‘play’ is actually the concept he uses to
illustrate his perspective on framing). This view seems to treat play in
opposition to reality. In your example - shucking corn could perhaps be
viewed as ‘play’ if the object of the activity were something other than
simply shucking corn (a competition, an act of pretend, etc).

Fun, to me, seems to be more about one’s engagement with an activity and
doesn’t necessarily depend on the activity’s status as ‘play’ or ‘not
play’. If play involves the meta-structure of an activity, then maybe ‘fun’
is more associated with emotion, motivation and engagement. Play and fun
are often thrown around in museum contexts as ideals for engaging young
visitors, but I’m not aware of any work to conceptualize or distinguish
them. If anyone has some suggested readings, i would definitely be
interested. Fun question!

rolf