[Xmca-l] Re: Fun &Games

Helen Harper helen.harper@bigpond.com
Wed Aug 19 04:40:25 PDT 2015

I wonder if the distinction between fun and play is really quite culturally and linguistically specific. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think the French really have ‘fun’, although ‘on peut s’amuser’. So the nearest French equivalent is a verb, not a noun, and it definitely has something to do with how they feel.

Our word ‘fun’, as a noun, is more of a ‘thing', but it still seems to imply a joyful feeling. ‘Play’ may or may not imply this, but it refers more specifically to a form of activity - I like Rolf’s suggestion of Bateson’s ‘metacommunicative frame’. There’s a fair bit of overlap in the meaning, but I wonder if the distinction in English serves to help us focus on the feeling versus the kind of activity.

That’s probably why ‘fun’ lends itself better to advertising (at least, I think it does - I don’t have any evidence handy).

Helen