[Xmca-l] Re: Hiroshima and us

‪Haydi Zulfei‬ ‪ haydizulfei@rocketmail.com
Sat Aug 8 10:37:53 PDT 2015

Hello everybody --
There's an attachment . Quite free to delete !
One big request : Please don't go too far with Iran's case as far as I'm concerned . Thanks !
Best
Haydi

     From: larry smolucha <lsmolucha@hotmail.com>
 To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca-l@mailman.ucsd.edu>
 Sent: Saturday, 8 August 2015, 4:04:39
 Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hiroshima and us

Message from Francine:

This thread began with Michael's suggestion that we "reflect on the bye gone days when
humans were not as skilled in mass destruction as we are now" - my comments are not
off topic.

XMCA discussions of political topics would benefit from an understanding that we 'agree to disagree' at times. Or is there only  one party line for XMCA? And are XMCA discussions
about atrocities to ignore the most glaring atrocities of the day (which just happen to be the
activities of ISIL which have not involved nuclear weapons so far i.e., the methods of the "bye gone days")?

David wants to restrict the definition of imperialism to only include the militaristic and
economic expansionism of capitalist countries. That is David's personal definition not one that is found in any dictionary. The Japanese certainly had (have) the ability to level war crimes charges against the USA especially when the Japanese economy had begun to rival and even dominate that of the USA (1970's-1980's). The German economy has been thriving for fifty years, they could (have) filed war crime charges for the inhumane fire bombing of Dresden.

And, au contriere, it is credible on the 70th Anniversary of Hiroshima to reflect on the
very real possibility of a nuclear arms race in the Middle East (should Iran develop a nuclear
weapon and other Arab nations, and perhaps Turkey, feel the need for nuclear deterrents).

Some of us on XMCA grew up during the Cold War between the USA and the USSR, but other
younger members of XMCA grew up after the Cold War. That we are on the eve of another
nuclear arms race (this time in the Middle East) might seem only a vague and distant possibility.

In regard to Ulvi's comments about the main catalyst behind ISIL being Western Imperialism,
I disagree and reiterate my  opinion that the animosity between different Islamic sects
is not a response to Western Imperialism.  In a power vacuum, as in post-war Iraq after the
American troops left, there would be power plays by rival factions. The Ottoman Turks ruled
the Middle East for 1,000 years suppressing any factional uprisings. The national boundary lines
for countries in the Middle East were artificially drawn up by the British after WWI, and it is not
surprising that factions would want to create new nation states (ISIL's caliphate) or extend the reach of established entities (like Iran formerly Persia).

Ulvi remarks that in a different social order, the hostilities between different Islamic sects
could be resolved peacefully. They never have been - but it is a good conceptual exercise
to try to imagine what type of social order would bring about that 'utopian' situation.

Theodul Ribot (1900) would refer to this as an activity involving a very specific type of creativity that he called the "Utopian Creative Imagination." I mention this for those XMCA members
who have an interest in Vygotsky's theory of creativity (Vygotsky based his theory on Ribot's).
Creativity is not just for artists and scientists.