[Xmca-l] Re: Hiroshima and us

Vera John-Steiner vygotsky@unm.edu
Sun Aug 9 10:45:17 PDT 2015

Beautiful poem,
Vera

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces+vygotsky=unm.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces+vygotsky=unm.edu@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of David Kellogg
Sent: Sunday, August 09, 2015 1:37 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: Hiroshima and us

Here's a bit of poetry I found in, of all places, Haydi's attachment. At first Haydi appears to be entirely off topic. But if you read it carefully and remember the story of Iran Air Flight 655, I think you will see that it is not. On the contrary, it is a poem in the spirit of Nazim Hikmet's great song "I come and stand at every door", something I remember and read every year at this time.

https://www.marxists.org/subject/art/literature/nazim/icomeandstand.html

Here's Haydi's version:

I’m 72
Not among newer generations

In our sky, too
We see bright stars and American helicopters hovering over the sandy deserts of Tabass

And a passenger plane flying over the Southern seas, Oman, Hit cruelly skilfully from an aircraft carrier, instantaneously powdered, converted to ashes

Down to the surface of the great Ocean
Memoirs of nears and dears silently, delicately, sleepily--still, very gracefully--finding their way to

A doll singing and reflecting the remembrances of the owner a small child Recollecting with tears the interminable sea

David Kellogg (with gratitude to Haydi)