[Xmca-l] Re: The history of science fiction and imagined worlds

Greg Thompson greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 19:38:10 PDT 2014

I thought the other tread was beginning to descend into "reality" more than
I care to (or perhaps worse, spiraling downward into the abyss of an
epistemologically-minded social constructionism - is there a there there?).

Seemed like good reason to soar in the imagination (yes, Mike, I know that
you prefer to invert that metaphor and "ascend to the concrete" - which
makes me wonder what you mean by "the concrete"? Reality? Or something
else? A "made real"?).

But I'd agree that it is on point with a "making"-oriented social
constructionism (trying to avoid using that awful word "ontological"?).

Anyway, I think this is the Haidt talk that John Cummins was proposing:
http://www.ted.com/talks/jonathan_haidt_on_the_moral_mind?language=en

I'm wondering if people are a bit fed up with the Ted talks since it can be
tough to find 20 minutes to watch/listen to a Ted talk and they can be hit
or miss.
But I would again strongly recommend the Saler talk I originally sent in
this email. I thought David Ke, in particular, would find it interesting
(or at least point out where it is wrong). David?
Others?
-greg