[Xmca-l] Re: in the eye of the beholder

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 18:33:34 PDT 2014

On 23 September 2014 01:31, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> Exactly, Huw. But I am interested in the change!
> You expressed that change on the passive voice. But it was an active
> struggle to change that concept. It's object was a concept which was
> *contrary* to conventional wisdom. ANL's AT is ok before and after a
> revolution but fails to understand the overthrow of the former and its
> replacement by another.

Ok, good, so there's no contradiction.  With respect to change, AT is not
imputing any generalisation of the specific local object.  For the actor,
the object ceases to be the object when it is recognised as being
inadequate or harmful.

>From the AT perspective we have numerous activities coming together around
various collective enterprises, many of which may have "asbestos" as their
object or concern, but have rather different objects of activity.  Even for
those with an ostensibly comparable object, the object comes into existence
and is rejected at different times.  Hence overthrow or other forms of
change are manifest in the changing localised needs.

So this still doesn't address why this a "grave defect in Leontyev's
version of AT, which prevents it from ever being taken seriously as a
social theory".

I suspect what you need to address are these "project" level regularities
and how they extend or disagree with AT and provide better explanatory
power.  In what I read, you don't do that... the only clue I have presently
is that you may be imputing "project" level object to localised activities.

Best,
Huw