[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Mon Oct 27 01:30:18 PDT 2014

Sure, Carol. You can teach children to manipulate children according to
a set of rules. In my very limited experience, when kids learn how to
manipulate symbols according to a social convention, they do not grasp
the concept behind the rule, consequently when the rules get to a
certain level of difficulty they just can't cope any longer and give up.
Like learning to navigate a city by memorising the directions.

I imagine it is difficult to extract "divide" from "share" by decoding a
text, and so on, but I guess if kids are taught to do this and practise
it for hours each day they will learn to do it.

I take it that you are suggesting, Carol, that a "word problem" is in
fact a way of presenting the child a real-life situation. This leaves
the child the task of (1) understanding the words, (2) abstracting the
maths problem, (3) successfully manipulating the symbols to a solution.

I think the issue is to grasp the problem here "genetically." A
professional mathematician manipulates symbols. A preschool child counts
real objects. To get from one to the other, is not, in my view, a jump
from handling objects to handling symbols, it is a long drawn out
process in which the rules of symbol manipulation still carry the marks
of their origin in object manipulation, psychologically and logically. I
think the "unit of analysis" problem is also the "germ-cell" problem.  I
think we have to conceive of learning mathematics genetically.

All this with the caveat that I know next to nothing about teaching
maths. But I think this is the nub of the matter: are we teaching kids
to manipulate symbols according to a social convention, or to solve real
problems mathematically.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/