[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Oct 30 17:32:15 PDT 2014

Let's not let this thread drop, Ed.
To my mind, understanding that mathematics is constrained by objective
relations, and is not just a social convention, and therefore *reveals*
objective relations, quite distinct from relations discoverable by
"experimenting" in the world beyond the text, and opens the possibility
for students to *explore and discover*. Such an experience has a very
different content from that of acquiring a social convention. So I think
it is important that the unit of analysis reflect this.

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/