[Xmca-l] Re: units of mathematics education

Carol Macdonald carolmacdon@gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 00:39:05 PDT 2014

Hi Andy

What about simply teaching symbol manipulation?  Just as 50 - 48 = 2,
children can readily do. We know, by the way that children find word
problems very difficult, and can't see the clues readily in language text.
Word problems are for them translating real-life situations into symbols
 They are if they are half well taught.  Otherwise teachers simply teach
word triggers like "shared" means divided.

Carol

--
Carol A  Macdonald Ph D (Edin)
Developmental psycholinguist