[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Oct 9 16:21:05 PDT 2014

This discussion has sent me back to looking at A N Leontyev's
"Development of Mind." For all his faults, ANL expended a lot of energy
in tracing the phylogenetic evolution of activity (which for ANL is a
broad category, inclusive of unconscious activity). He traces the
evolution of behaviour (as in animals without a central nervous system
operating on a reflex basis) through conditioned reflexes and habits to
operations (scripts which can be moved from one situation to another and
adapted to conditions without conscious awareness) to actions
(consciously determined by their immediate goal) to activities (where
the goal is remote from the immediate actions, and a whole series of
actions are required to meet the goal). Then he is able to trace the
movement back and forth between behaviour, operational activity, actions
and activities in both ontogenesis and microgenesis. I have always been
a bit impatient with this kind of move (reifying a theory of human
activity into Nature and then importing it back), but I have to say it
was a useful exercise. And clarifying.
Here is a link to an excerpt from part of this work:
http://www.marxists.org/archive/leontev/works/1981/evolution.htm
Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.pacific.net.au/~andy/