[Xmca-l] Re: how to broaden/enliven the xmca discussion

Martin John Packer mpacker@uniandes.edu.co
Thu Oct 9 16:14:34 PDT 2014

David,

Sorry, yes, it's a Developmental Science "early view" article:

<http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/desc.12233/abstract?campaign=wolearlyview>

There is a growing literature indicating that toddlers come to recognize the normative use ('function') of various artifacts. What caught my attention about this study is that it suggests that they are distinguishing between two kinds of use, only one of which they pass along to a new person. I was suggesting that this is the 'core' use (the 'meaning' of the artifact), while the other falls into the periphery (the 'sense' of the artifact).

Whether or not this article is of interest, it does seem to me likely that toddlers might be treating words as simply (!) another kind of artifact which has a customary, preferential use among its various affordances.

Martin