[Xmca-l] Re: Intellect and consciousness

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri May 23 07:33:06 PDT 2014

I want to thank everyone for their reflections on consciousness and
intellect.
Mike commented,
Well, myself I am following Larry's lead and reading Alex's book on
Vygotsky so that i can understand the context in which he brought this
topic up, and in the context of his general interpretation of core
Vygotskian concepts.

I re-read Alex last comment in the epilogue of his book *Vygotsky's
Psychology* which gives his understanding of why he wrote this book. Alex
reads Vygotsky's legacy as having moved through 3 stages.
In the 1920's and 1930's the focus was on SOCIAL mediation to help create
the *new man*.
In the 1960's Vygotsky was re-discovered in the West as a response to
Piaget's quasi-naturalistic theory of development.

In 1990, when the book was written Kozulin suggest a new plane opened. Here
is Kozulin's understanding of this third phase of Vygotsky's legacy. [page
278]

"The third plane of Vygotsky's theory, the contours of which are only just
emerging, presupposes both the re-evaluation of its origins and its
projection into the future of psychology. What in the 1920's appeared to be
a rather straight forward thesis of SOCIAL mediation, and in the 1960's as
a necessary correction to the overly individualistic approaches of Western
psychology, nowadays appears as a new problem emerging from the realization
that social and cultural mediatory mechanisms do not coincide. Vygotsky's
analysis of the crisis in psychology, earlier perceived as a critique of
psychology's past, is now recognized as an inquiry into the fundamental
mechanism of psychology's divergent development. The origins and context of
Vygotsky's theory are now being seen in a new light.; in the place of
comparisons to Pavlov, the Gestaltists and Piaget comes the context of
PHILOSOPHICAL HERMENEUTICS AND THE THEORY OF COMMUNICATIVE ACTION.  In an
even broader sense, what once looked like Vygotsky's contribution TO
psychology appears now as leading BEYOND psychology or at least beyond
traditional psychology and into the sphere of the human studies BASED on
the humanities, rather than the scientific model."

Mike, how others *respond* to Kozulin's vision that a new plane based on
the humanities is a re-visioning that goes too far BEYOND Vygotsky or if
they acknowledge this third plane as a valid emerging of a hermeneutical
response is an open question.
Thought Kozulin's epilogue may generate more reflections and responses on
his perspective of the relation of [intellect] and [consciousness]

Larry