[Xmca-l] Re: Article on Positioning Theory

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 07:26:30 PDT 2014

Andy,

I experienced your question and as a sudden shift in the collaboration. The
exploration of positioning theory was moving in the direction of
questioning the potential of collaboration is an ideal that may be
constrained. The *meaning* of collaboration was being modified and tending
in one direction.
Your reflection on the value of reflection as a *core* value shifted our
engagement with this concept and collaboration *felt* different.
Collaboration went from feeling *suspect* to being a valued term. THIS
phenomena  as felt tendency re-positions the concept of collaboration in
our community.
Andy, you then propose the more appropriate *posing* [positioning] of this
question must be *what TYPE of collaboration* is or is not in the best
interest of this or that student. Which then poses/positions the question
of "What TYPES of collaboration are there?".

You suggest that EACH TYPE has a NORM and the particular ways the students
in this class are *normed* I would pose as expressing a particular VALUE
position.
Therefore *types* AND *posings* AND *positionings* AND *values* AND *norms*
OF collaboration becomes a particular TYPE of storyline [genre??]

You are suggesting the concept *collaborative* is preferable to
*discourse*. I'm assuming you also would prefer *collaboration* to the
concept *dialogue*.

I am curious if others share Andy's preference for the concept
*collaboration* and exploring TYPES OR KINDS of collaboration as a way to
*reveal* [unmask??] the dynamic flow of  *streams* of collaboration
as expanding and extending the understanding of BOTH positioning theory AND
collaboration.

I will send a comment on another post which indicates the origin of Harre's
positioning theory within Vygotsky's cultural historical theory AS a
humanistic storyline