[Xmca-l] Re: Article on Positioning Theory

Donna Kotsopoulos dkotsopo@wlu.ca
Mon Mar 31 01:50:19 PDT 2014

Andy,

I think positioning theory and Vygotsky's work may address many of the "how" components of collaboration. The outcomes or the implications, I would suggest need some theoretical extensions to make sense of them in a more fulsome way. I couldn't explain the silencing, for example, without thinking through and proposing a theoretical extension.

d.

Donna Kotsopoulos, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Faculty of Education & Faculty of Science, Department of Mathematics
Wilfrid Laurier University
75 University Avenue West, BA313K
Waterloo, Ontario, N2L 3C5
(519) 884-0710 x 3953
www.wlu.ca/education/dkotsopoulos
www.wlu.ca/mathbrains

DISCLAIMER: This e-mail and any file(s) transmitted with it, is intended for the exclusive use by the person(s) mentioned above as recipient(s). Any unauthorized distribution, copying or other use is strictly prohibited.
>>> On 3/30/2014 at 11:01 PM, in message <5338DA90.1090001@mira.net>, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

Donna,
I don't think there is a particular need to go in search of theories
here. Positioning theory, which I gather (?) is the study of how people
are positioned by and for collaboration, taken together with Vygotsky's
cultural psychology and the tradition of acivity theory, seems quite
enough for me. :) Vygotsky gave us an approach to how concepts are
formed, through the collaborative use of tools and symbols, and it seems
to me, that self-concept is an important limiting case of concept
formation. I tend to see every collabortion as the active instantiation
of a concept of "what we are doing together," which necessarily includes
a diversity of actions by different individuals, and "different points
of view."

Andy
*Andy Blunden*
http://home.mira.net/~andy/