[Xmca-l] Re: Article on Positioning Theory

Larry Purss lpscholar2@gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 14:18:21 PDT 2014

Andy, Huw, Donna, Greg, Jennifer and others who have responded

The exploration of positioning theory  has generated  multiple discussions
which have been stimulated by Donna's article under discussion.  One theme
that seems vital is to  explore *evaluative practices* and how we arrive at
our shared values within collaborations. Jennifer's exploration of voice,
Huw's referencing inferential positioning, collaboration as having
*aspects* that are both constraining and freeing AS multiple TYPES, and the
complexity of coming to shared understandings.

On page 52 of the article "Positioning Theory: Vygotsky, Wittgenstein, and
Social Constructionis Theory" Dorothy Howie and Michael Peters conclude the
sub-section on "The New Social Psychology and the Russian Humanistic
Tradition" with this comment on evaluative practices.

"In conclusion to this section, there are implications of this cultural
embeddedness of meanings as expressed in institutional practices and
conversations for the interpreting and use of Positioning Theory FOR
EVALUATIVE practices IN GENERAL"

Andy's comments on TYPES of collaboration  in general AS evaluative
practices and the exploration of KINDS of positioning.

This section ends with a quote from Harre and Van Lagenhove, 1991:p404]

"... the cataloguing of KINDS of positions that exist here and now will not
necessarily be found at other places and times. In so far as the content of
a position is DEFINED in terms of rights, duties and obligations of
speaking, and these 'MORAL' properties are locally and momentarily
specified, positions will be unstable in content as well"

To return to the article under discussion, Greg asked if the dynamics in
the middle school math class as *observed*  are particular KINDS of
collaboration emerging within specific  culturally and historically
constrained contexts?

There seems to be an *evaluative* ASPECT to understanding positioning
theory that expands and extends the complexity of collaborative practices

 [the article I have referenced  has free access because the publisher
allows free access to 3 articles from their journals over a 14 day period] .