[Xmca-l] Re: What Faces Can't Tell Us

White, Phillip Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu
Wed Mar 5 06:23:21 PST 2014

Peter, i agree with your sense of hesitation in accepting the research of facial expressions - i've been thinking about how police interrogation techniques have depended up on theories of eye behavior. Twenty-three out of 24 peer-reviewed studies published in scientific journals reporting experiments on eye behavior as an indicator of lying have rejected this hypothesis.1 No scientific evidence exists to suggest that eye behavior or gaze aversion can gauge truthfulness reliably.

phillip

Phillip White, PhD
Urban Community Teacher Education Program
Site Coordinator
Montview Elementary, Aurora, CO
phillip.white@ucdenver.edu
or
pawhite@aps.k12.co.us
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Peter Smagorinsky [smago@uga.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 4:50 AM
To: lchcmike@gmail.com; eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: What Faces Can't Tell Us

Briefly, my beef comes from the interpretation of a response to a facial expression outside the context of how such an expression might authentically be generated in response to something real. Maybe it's just my own difficulty in reading social cues as a high-functioning Asperger's case, and the problems that are exacerbated by the decontextualization of the expressions in a lab setting.