[Xmca-l] Re: What Faces Can't Tell Us

Peter Smagorinsky smago@uga.edu
Wed Mar 5 03:50:01 PST 2014

Briefly, my beef comes from the interpretation of a response to a facial expression outside the context of how such an expression might authentically be generated in response to something real. Maybe it's just my own difficulty in reading social cues as a high-functioning Asperger's case, and the problems that are exacerbated by the decontextualization of the expressions in a lab setting.

-----Original Message-----
From: xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-l-bounces@mailman.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of mike cole
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2014 9:01 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: [Xmca-l] Re: What Faces Can't Tell Us

Peter. "The lab" ? Ruled out?

I read Martin as saying that context and interpretation would be central.
Is it this particular study you are apparently disagreeing about?  He says its better than universalism (a la Ekman, I assume). No 'round here more sensitive to issues of experimental (laboratory?) studies and cross cultural research so I am a little lost.
I have not had a chance to read John Shotter's piece that Larry sent and wants to discuss. I am assuming they are part of the same discussion.Is that supposition correct?

I am a little confused. What is at issue here?

Help gratefully accepted.
mike