[Xmca-l] Re: labour and signs

mike cole mcole@ucsd.edu
Fri Dec 5 12:26:50 PST 2014

Hi Andy--

I personally would not start with a study of adolescents in order to
understand how language emerges from action-in-activity in ontogeny. I take
Luria's early work with the combined motor method to be directed exactly at
that problem. But the work has proven difficult to replicate. Perhaps
others have other suggestions of favorite places to look.

The idea of studying cultural historical change in the deed/word relations
over time using contemporary examples seems like a good way to go, but it
seems to me that circumstances such as those made visible in the study of
Nicaraguan sign over generations of newcomers to the community provide a
promising model. I need time to re-think your examples which I have not
read for a while and many xmca members probably need to given references to
so that if they want to follow the thread, they can check the fuller
accounts.

mike

--
It is the dilemma of psychology to deal with a natural science with an
object that creates history. Ernst Boesch.