[Xmca-l] Re: labour and signs

Annalisa Aguilar annalisa@unm.edu
Thu Dec 4 19:21:20 PST 2014

Hello,

It certainly quells the argument for those who believe that word comes before deed. If I am interpreting this correctly.

However, I'd like to ask a few questions.

1. Where is the locii of _meaning_ in this construct?

Is it in between the deed and the word? or is does it arise during the deed? or is it after the word?

2. Where is the locii of _intention_ in this construct? and if intention is before the deed, then where is meaning?

I would suggest that intention and meaning are closely coupled. I'd like to know your take on how they are related.

3. Who is it who is doing the deed? And who is it who speaks the word? Doesn't someone need to be present to do the deed? Or is this deed disembodied and mechanical in nature?

4. Vygotsky was studying child development, so he is talking about children forming words out of actions, right? This is ontogenetic not phylogenetic, isn't it?

At T&C I happened to watch one of the kids drawing, and she was drawing flowers, as she drew dots in the air, she said "buzz. buzz. buzz." at the moment she drew them. One dot for each "buzz."

I definitely agree that it was as if the word were the crowning the deed. But it also seemed to me the meaning and intention were present in the room before the deed and the words manifested. The flowers were there before the intention to draw bees (as dots). The meaning was in the word, "buzz." Almost like an incantation to give the dots "bee-ness."

So it's my opinion (and you are free to disagree, I won't stand in your way to do that) that we require a little more context of what Vygotsky's text means, rather than lifting this text and perhaps giving it cast of a biblical or literary critique as the ending words on a phylogenetic law.

I don't know if that is what is being done here, but it seems prudent to be sure what the context was.

Kind regards,

Annalisa