[Xmca-l] Re: labour and signs

Andy Blunden ablunden@mira.net
Thu Dec 4 20:55:40 PST 2014

Well, Mike, while we are always interested in any information that comes
to light about the ancient formation of language, I find that theories
about that are invariably reifications (or exptrapolations if you like)
of theories based (as you remark to Annalisa) on actual observations of
(1) ontogeny, (2) the cultural-historical  origin and development of the
particular concepts themselves and the words indicating them.

Re (1) Vygotsky has lots to say about this and of course you
psychologists continue to investigate this in your own lifetime; from
Chapter 5 of T&S,  for example:

    * "The tasks that are posed for the maturing adolescent by the
      social environment - tasks that are associated with his entry into
      the cultural, professional, and social life of the adult world -
      are an essential functional factor in the formation of concepts.
      Repeatedly, this factor points to the mutually conditioned nature,
      the organic integration, and the internal unity of content and
      form in the development of thinking."

    * "It would be a mistake to ignore or fail to recognize the
      significance of the life-task as a factor that nourishes and
      directs intellectual development in the transitional age. However,
      it would also be a mistake to view this aspect of causal-dynamic
      development as the basic mechanism of the problem of concept
      development or as the key to this problem."

Re (2) Engestrom has done work on this. I stand by the analysis in my
paper on the formation of the concept of Collaborative Learning Space
which differs only in detail in comparison with Engestrom's 7-step
process, but I think the most decisive and spectacular evidence of all
is the research done on the emergence of the word for the various
colours in all the languages of the world and how this correlated with
the ability to manufacture materials in the respective colour. In
general, new concepts and the words for them arise when solutions are
proposed for problems which have arisen in the course of regular, i.e.,
in some way rule-governed or institutionalised, practice (i.e.,
activity). A problem in practice is solved in practice and then named.
Marx points out how the solution is found and practised before theorists
can describe it and give a name to it, but I would hesitate to make this
a general rule, though it may be appropriate in the case of broad social
change.

In relation to the word-tool business, sometimes the word naming a new
concept names a new tool (e.g. Collaborative Learning Space), but not
always. It may name the solution (e.g. "regulation") to a problem
("contradiction" in Engestrom's vocab) which is not necessarily a tool,
sometimes the problem itself  (e.g. "sexism") but in essence always
indicates the solution not the problem, sometimes a new concept comes in
the form of two words being a new distinction. The selection of the word
itself is a whole other matter of course.

Personally, my interest is in (2) above.

Does that answer your question, Mike?

Andy
https://www.academia.edu/2758945/The_Formation_of_the_Concept_of_Collaborative_Learning_Space_
http://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1857/grundrisse/ch01.htm#3