[Xmca-l] Re: About 「hope 」 in socio-cultural research

peter jones h2cmng@yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 25 13:36:58 PDT 2014

Context is everything as the saying goes - and in hope it is easy to polarise. So....!

It may be useful to take in the socio-medical dimensions as in the cultural presence-prevalence of other possibly related concepts such as 'fatalism' and hence religious beliefs of course.

Gender and age must be other factors, but these may confound what you seek?

May also beg the question: "Is the 'sick-role' still a factor?"

Specific assessments may as Henry suggests provide insights:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beck_Hopelessness_Scale

Hope must also be key component of self-stigma, a concept that might prevent people from seeking help:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23883668

http://www.psy-journal.com/article/S0165-1781%2811%2900390-8/abstract

Corrigan
	PW, Larson JE, Rüsch N (2009): Self-stigma and the “why try”
	effect: impact on life goals and evidence-based practices. World
	Psychiatry. 8(2): 75–81.

Education is as Henry also notes is fundamental in the shift to general literacy and ultimately self-efficacy.

Hope is included within the Recovery STAR:

Dickens G, Weleminsky J, Onifade Y, et al. (2012): Recovery Star: validating user recovery. The Psychiatrist Online 2012. 36:45-50.

I included hope within a recent paper on recovery and the recovery model and Hodges' model:

Jones P. (2014) Using a conceptual framework to explore the dimensions
of recovery and their relationship to service user choice and
self-determination. International Journal of Person Centered Medicine. Vol 3, No 4, (2013) pp.305-311.

The model prompts consideration of a concept in four domains:

INTRA-INTERPERSONAL |  SCIENCES
SOCIOLOGICAL             |  POLITICAL

+ SPIRITUAL - 5th domain

Table
1 The Recovery STAR dimensions mapped to Hodges’ model
Identity and self-esteem
Managing mental health                                           Hope

Self-

care
Living
Addictive behavior
Social networks
Relationships                                     Trust Skills
Work

Responsibilities

Where JingJing mentions cognitive considerations then a medicalized / therapeutic stance may take in cognitive behavioural therapy?
Hope within the cognitive triad?

Of possible historical interest:

http://www.studentmentalhealth.org.uk/

Plus:

http://mhhehub.ning.com/

All the best,

Peter Jones
Lancashire, UK
Blogging at "Welcome to the QUAD"
http://hodges-model.blogspot.com/
Hodges Health Career - Care Domains - Model
http://www.p-jones.demon.co.uk/
h2cm: help 2C more - help 2 listen - help 2 care
http://twitter.com/h2cm