[Xmca-l] Re: A request for assistance

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:34:59 PDT 2014

Someone was kind enough to point out that among the (doubless legion)
errors in my posts on this topic was a rather infelicitous phrase
which seemed to imply that only middle class parents were caring. The
point I was trying to make was that working class parents work--and
this eventually means less time for care-taking (not "caring"). This
is as much a fact of preschool life as the fact that larger classes
mean less individual time with the teacher during school life.

And--like most facts of working class life in the last few
decades--it's getting worse, thanks to software which allows employers
to treat their minimum wage staff the way that hospitals treat
doctors--without the benefits. Take a look at this:

 http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/08/13/us/starbucks-workers-scheduling-hours.html?_r=0

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies