[Xmca-l] Re: A request for assistance

chronaki chronaki@uth.gr
Tue Aug 19 03:53:40 PDT 2014

Dear Aggeliki

I get into this line of discussion, hoping that I have something to
offer, as it is very close to my heart, my experiences and my current
work. I work in an early childhood department of education and I teach
mathematics pedagogy and learning courses to our undergraduates -who
mostly ome from a working class background. I try to organize my courses
around interdisciplinary work using digital media and expressive arts so
that to prepare them for becoming designers of playful and art-based
activity for the young children -so that to experience mathematical
learning not as direct teaching but as connected and related. I realize
that very often my students have a very limited 'taste' of what might be
aesthetically appropriate for the early ages, what is play, how play
could be possibly linked to joy, how work can be joyful or even how play
can require discipline, logic and intuition. Of course, this 'limited
taste' reflects to some extent a matter of working/middle class
diversity (although such distinctions are not exactly relevant today ).
Some of my students haven't visited a museum in their life and know
merely commercial play as it is advertised in shops and TV.

The discussion over playful learning and how this relates to social
class (especially in the early ages) is quite important and, perhaps,
much more relevant today than it was a few decades ago. The topic is not
new -but seems to come up again and again, although through different
theorizing, empirical evidence and priorities in educational politics
but also educational commerce  (e.g.- see what is being bought today at
such an ease by anxious parents and educators?!!...).

I can think over two publications in the field of mathematics education
that may be of some use here.
One is a  book by Cooper, Barry and Dunne, Mairead  [see exact reference
....(2000) /Assessing Children's Mathematical Knowledge: social class
sex and problem solving./ <http://sro.sussex.ac.uk/27498/> Open
University Press Buckingham, 215 pp. ISBN 0335-20316-7] that discusses a
sociological analysis (based mainly on Bernstein) on how
explicit/implicit ways of educating influence children's success and how
this relates to social class and gender.

Another one is Valerie Walkerdine's well known book entitled 'Counting
Girls' Out: Girls and Mathematics' published in the 80s. Although the
title does not disclose its relevance to social class, this book is also
closely related to the discussion of playful or 'progressive' education
and its appropriation by working and middle class families (note:
perhaps one needs to attend to the 'new middle classes' phenomenon due
to the upgrading or even downgrading in social classes. In the 80s, much
more than it is  now, the family was for many households the 'mother'
and the family was extended into the preschool years to the teacher -who
was supposed to be the 'mother figure'. I have found very useful the
discussion carried through the book over  how 'playful' activity  (and
progressive pedagogy) influences differently social and working class
'mothers' and how related discourses tend to inscribe their
interactions, behavior, pleasures, tacit assessments and evaluative
comments. How, then, the child can resist or appropriate such discursive
machinery?  Ηow much play requires the 'meeting' of diverse discourses
that, mainly relate to social class, ethnic, gendered diversities.
Walkerdine provides some explanations throughout the book based on
Foucault and feminist theory. I have enjoyed this book and although the
book is not new it deserves an extra reading. I was recently responsible
for editing its translation into Greek. Perhaps you might want to have a
look in a lecture videotaped by Bodosakis foundation as an introduction
to these very complex issues [
http://www.blod.gr/lectures/Pages/viewlecture.aspx?LectureID=786]. I
guess you speak Greek. If not, ignore the video...

with best wishes
anna chronaki