[Xmca-l] Re: Intrinsic motivation?

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 09:12:36 PDT 2014

Cristina,

It looks, from my reading, that you are using a hybrid set of terms along
the lines of both Engestrom and Leontyev.

The Leontyevian position is that the object of motive is personal.

The object of motive identifies the "throwness" of the person's current
intentional engagement as structured by their selected goals and
operations.  Hence a manager's designation of goals is not necessarily the
goals of the person's activity.  If you consider Marx's notion of
alienation contemporaneously as the frustration of a workers' desire to
undertake their work as a craft (i.e as a practice of craftsmanship) then
you have identified a frustrated personal motive that a worker may struggle
to realign with the demands placed upon them.

Hope this helps,
Huw