[Xmca-l] Re: The Inimitability of Grammar

Huw Lloyd huw.softdesigns@gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 16:51:51 PDT 2014

On 4 April 2014 23:00, David Kellogg <dkellogg60@gmail.com> wrote:

> Huw:
>
> Consider these two very different grammars for clumping word-chunks
> together:
>
> a) (1) Think for yourselves! (2) Be original! (3) Be relevant! (4) Be
> useful!
> b) (1) Be useful! (2) Be relevant! (3) Think for yourselves! (Be original!)
>
> It seems to me that the grammar for clumping a) together is this: a1)
> is reformulated as a mental process simply because that is one of the
> most frequent fixed formulations in our culture. I think there are
> good reasons for this that have to do with the marketability of
> individualism--doing things for yourself is both extremely appealing
> and completely disempowering, and both of these are highly attractive
> in the current model of capitalism being developed.
>
> One of the reasons why the slogan "Think for yourself!" is so common
> is that it it is contentless (like "Just do it!"). So a1) is then
> reformulated as a relational process in a2) order to say what kind of
> thinking I am supposed to undertake. This isn't entirely successful,
> because ""Be original!" is essentially synonymous with "Think for
> yourself!" So we have the grammatical repetition but semantic
> variation of a3) and a4) which serves to add some content and remain
> pleasingly vague.

Let's not forget "Be specific".  :)

I think you're on to something (or, as my inimitable boy says,
"sump-sump").  The conservative party better watch out for your analytics.
 :)

Also this reminds me of a case M. H. Erickson reported in persisting at
speaking back gibberish to a patient.  Eventually the patient asked why he
was speaking that way.

Clutching at straws, am I.

Best,
Huw