[Xmca-l] Re: The Inimitability of Grammar

Joseph Gilbert joeg4us@roadrunner.com
Thu Apr 3 18:55:11 PDT 2014

Dear David,
I was not expecting you to agree with me, but rather hoping that you’ll would grasp what I was explaining and respond in some relevant fashion. It seems either you do not understand or do not want to understand my offering. I admit, I am disappointed and frustrated with this long-time situation. For me, it is not about blaming or, heaven forbid, insulting anyone, it’s simply about attempting to share a discovery. I assumed, long ago, that those in the academic world would be the most likely to understand what I had found. But it eventually became evident to me that the very ones who, I had assumed it would be the most fruitful to share my work with, are the most resistant to new ideas that relate to their turf. I have yet to receive a cogent or even minimally relevant response from any person in the world of academia, except for one Margaret Magnus. She was denied consideration of her doctorate thesis by Chomsky’s linguistics department at MIT. She persisted and received her doctor of philosophy degree from Trondheim University. It seems that because her findings ran counter to the doctrine of many current linguists (that there is no relationship between the sounds of words and their meanings), that even though her method of proof of her assertion was scientifically sound, the established order would not even consider her work on its merit. She is the only one of those in academia who responded intelligently to what I shared with her. She posted my writings on her website, “Magical Letter Page” and also put it on the web so that when one searches for “Joseph Gilbert sound symbolism” my writing comes up.
	I was saying that, after seeing many examples of academic writings on the subject of phonosemiotics, I have found almost none that make any sense and/or offer any solid assertions. It is obvious to me that the sounds we make with our voices express what’s going on with us. The ability to vocalize evolved because the ability to communicate was an advantage. So, what was being communicated by vocal utterances? Whatever it was still persists in all spoken-word languages. Ultimately, after all our thinking, we are left with the sounds of our words and with the persistent uncertainty of the final meaning of any of the many things we may talk about. We can gain an abstract understanding, with words, of how things work, but with all our reasoning we still cannot come to any conclusion as to what any of it means to us. It is the sounds themselves of our words, that serve to inform us of how we are affected by that which makes up our world. Although this informing takes place subliminally, it is all we have to go on in our quest for a sense of meaning. That is the magic of language: How we spell/pronounce our words is what creates the spell of the our language. This is very primal and quite simple, but has far-reaching ramifications. The spoken word is the driver of human affairs.
	I come from a partly Jewish background and have much appreciation for who the Jewish people are and the role they play in earthly affairs.
	It’s all about asking the relevant questions and not taking any wooden nickels.

		Joseph C. Gilbert