[Xmca-l] Re: The Inimitability of Grammar

David Kellogg dkellogg60@gmail.com
Fri Apr 4 15:00:12 PDT 2014

Huw:

Consider these two very different grammars for clumping word-chunks together:

a) (1) Think for yourselves! (2) Be original! (3) Be relevant! (4) Be useful!
b) (1) Be useful! (2) Be relevant! (3) Think for yourselves! (Be original!)

It seems to me that the grammar for clumping a) together is this: a1)
is reformulated as a mental process simply because that is one of the
most frequent fixed formulations in our culture. I think there are
good reasons for this that have to do with the marketability of
individualism--doing things for yourself is both extremely appealing
and completely disempowering, and both of these are highly attractive
in the current model of capitalism being developed.

One of the reasons why the slogan "Think for yourself!" is so common
is that it it is contentless (like "Just do it!"). So a1) is then
reformulated as a relational process in a2) order to say what kind of
thinking I am supposed to undertake. This isn't entirely successful,
because ""Be original!" is essentially synonymous with "Think for
yourself!" So we have the grammatical repetition but semantic
variation of a3) and a4) which serves to add some content and remain
pleasingly vague.

The grammar for clumping b) together is different. I essentially
ordered the chunks according to frequency, going from least frequent
to most frequent. A computer can do it, and in fact a computer did. I
think a computer would be hard put to generate the rules for clumping
a).

I think that's Arendt's point. If we think of language as a three
layer sandwich (semantics, lexicogrammar, and phonology/phonetics, or
"meaning", "wording", and "sounding", to use Halliday's scheme), we
can say that meaning interfaces with non-individual human material
because semantics has to reflect context (including social context),
and sounding interfaces with non-individual human material because
sounding has to reflect the properties of sound waves (and their
decodability by others). But wording is under individual human control
exclusively, hence the inimitability of grammar.

Joseph is quite right to say that that the phonology is never entirely
decoupled from the semantics. But he is quite wrong when he assumes
that the most direct link is the articulation of phones. If this were
true there would be very few articulatory differences between
languages and in fact there are very many. There are, however, far
fewer prosodic differences between languages. So for example in every
language I know, including child protolanguage, rising intonation
implies that an exchange is incomplete and some kind of response is
required, while falling intonation implies that no response is
necessary.

Although even here there isn't a direct link between meaning and
sounding, there is always and everywhere the indirect, mediated link
of grammar. The problem arises when this link becomes automatic and
habitual and loses the crucial component of conscious and deliberate
control. We can call this the problem of thoughtless fluency, or
mindless flow.

I've often wondered why humankind should have chosen English, an
extreme outlier among the world's language in terms of the
learnability of its phonology and its lexicogrammar, as its first true
experiment in having a world language. It seems, though, that other
world languages (e.g. Greek, Latin French in the eighteenth century,
and German in the nineteenth century) have also had these properties.

Hymes said that "feasibility" is a property of all communicative
competence, but I think he underestimated the extent to which a
language of prestige, hence a language prized by worldly travellers,
prizes unfeasibility. The inimitability of grammar becomes a badge of
exclusitivity; a kind of a linguistic Business Class Lounge.

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies