[Xmca-l] Re: Systems views [leontievactivity]

Just thought I'd mention that it sounds like there are strong resonances
between Shotter's ideas here and Goodwin's paper Professional Vision that
Antti recently mentioned.

In that piece, Goodwin looks at the processes of coding, highlighting, and
the articulation of graphic representations. He shows first how these
practices function in archaeology to define particular shadings of dirt as
evidence of posts of a building (rhetorically the paper is brilliant - to
start off with a neutral profession such as archaeology and then move to
the much more emotionally charged issue of the police beating of Rodney
King). Then he moves to the Rodney King case to show how the coding,
highlighting, and representational practices of the police justified the
brutal beating of Rodney King.

Goodwin's key points resonate well with not just Shotter, but with Activity
Theory:
"The ability to build and interpret a material cognitive artifact, such as
an archaeological map, is embedded within a web of socially articulated
discourse."

and, "Within such a framework the ability to see relevant entities is not
lodged in the individual mind, but instead within a community of competent
practitioners."

and further:
"As argued by Wittgenstein (1958) a category or rule cannot determine its
own application; seeing what can count as a "change of slope" or
"aggression" in a relevant domain of scrutiny is both a contingent
accomplishment, and a locus for contestation, indeed a central site for
legal argument. Categories and the phenomena to which they are being
applied, mutually elaborate each other (Goodwin
1992; Heritage 1984; Keller and Keller 1993),"

I think Goodwin's account is interesting b.c. it is mostly descriptive of
the phenomena. While pointing in some ways to the injustice of the Rodney
King trial, he doesn't go so far as to say that the work of "professionals"
is entirely a ruse. Rather, it seems like his point is that there are
better and worse ways of doing it. E.g., the archaeologist student is able
to engage with the materials herself while learning, whereas the jurist is
expected to passively sit and listen to the testimony of "experts" (strange
to think that "inquiry" - as in "an inquiry" - and legal proceedings could
be linked - or, at least, this is a strange form of "inquiry" conducted
entirely by "experts").

Wondering where Shotter stands on the the usefulness of science. Is there
value to be had in the scientific field of meaning? Or is it just a ruse?
E.g., is there value in seeing "social structure" and "class" in the world?

-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor