Re: [xmca] Time perception in childhood

Ulvi,
Fascinating.
What were the ages of your son before and after getting the notes?

I don't think that here in the u.s. we are any better at attending to
natural development across time. Instead, we use it as a sorting mechanism
and the parents who are insistent enough for a long enough time will
generally have their children recognized as being more capable, competent,
smart, etc. b.c. if you keep insisting on having your child tested,
eventually they will have experienced the further developments and be able
to do the task (and much of school sorting is predicated upon pushing the
tests earlier than is developmentally appropriate - b.c. otherwise almost
all of the kids would be able to do them - in which case it would be
useless as a sorting mechanism). The trick is to get a special exception
for your child later. Since schools don't seem to notice developmental
time, their major concern for them is the bureaucratic one of having to
make an exception. The tragedy, of course, is that those who are have the
cultural capital to get the exception are the upper-middle- and upper-
class folks. Good old American meritocracy!

Would love to hear of an educational system that truly takes development
into account.

-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor