From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] on behalf of Andy Blunden [ablunden@mira.net]
Sent: Saturday, April 06, 2013 10:25 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Project

Michael, when Manfred says in his paper:

    "These emotions in the neonate possess an essentially interpersonal
    regulation function. They are designed so that caregivers will
    interpret them as appeals to carry out those actions that are
    necessary to satisfy the infant’s needs." (p. 28)

I presumed that Manfred was using "designed" as a functionalist form of
speech, and was not imputing design to either the neonate or the
Creator. But when you say: "The things the neonate does, from the moment
of entering the world has an aim" I am not sure what you mean by "has an
aim." Who has an aim? You repeatedly claim that a neonate's or an
infant's movements "have an aim," or are "part of a larger action" or
"part of the larger project of being a human." But then you say
(basically) that the neonate's movements are not premeditated. I gather
the explanation is about "thinking is in the action and not in thought."
Sure. I can agree with that. As I said, I am not trying to "link
thinking and acting" because thinking arises out of action by the
differentiation of action. But even before that, before what you call
"thinking in action", ...? Does "conscious awareness" figure here
anywhere? Are you claiming that the neonate "has an aim" but it just not
consciously aware of it? I really can't get what you are saying Michael.

Andy

Glassman, Michael wrote:
Hi Andy,

Not quite sure I agree with your interpretation of Piaget.  The things the neonate does, from the moment of entering the world has an aim.  When a child is born their first "operation" (differentiated from the way Piaget uses the term operations which is tied to symbol based actions tied to pre-logic or logic) is to start sucking.  Why are they doing this.  Is it simply an operation that will somehow evolve into an action.  Not according to Piaget at least.  The child is engaging in an operation that has an aim that involves feeding.  Now is the child thinking to herself "Hmm, here I am in the world, I'd better get to practicing so I can get my feedbag on."  No, of course not, but that doesn't mean the operation does not have an aim and is part of a larger action.  Now I will also say Piaget thinks this first operation is a reflex, sort of part of the larger project of being human.  But if we go on to the next operation we can really see how in the sensori motor period thinking is in the action and not in thought. In primary circular reactions the child begins moving their limbs, but they go this as part of a reaching out into the world.  What the child finds through this reaching out is pleasure of some sort which pushes them to reach out more.  If what they were doing were not operations in the service of a larger action I would suggest to you (at least according to Piaget) they would not continue to learn, continue to develop.  Operations are almost always immediately embedded into actions, it is part of who we are - thought comes later and is perhaps something we invented so we can make money telling people what, how and why they think.

Michael