Re: [xmca] Project

Brecht

Andy talks about projects being nested in each other.  That is helpful.

I agree about the social situation  of development, but then that must be
seen for what it is--it's about *development.*
*
*
I am currently taking a look at the possibility of drawing the concept of *
equlilibration* in.

Mratin your work is you project, not your job. Intellectuals have to be
clear about that.  Would that we were autonomous, but we generally aren't
able to see self-sustaining.

Carol

On 3 April 2013 10:15, Brecht De Smet <Brechttie.DeSmet@ugent.be> wrote:

> Martin, I think your concern is genuine, i.e. that project are not
> isolated instances of activity and should relate to what you call "the
> social fabric".
>
> I don't have much time to write up an eloquent reply so I try my best to
> be concise.
>
> What Andy emphasis in his ITA book is the confusion in AT between its
> substance of analysis, its unit of analysis, and its "products" of
> analysis. The unit of analysis is that simple phenomenon which develops
> the complex substance in a concrete way. Expressed in a formula, what Andy
> proposes is quite simple:
>
> Substance of analysis = human (artifact-mediated) activity, a fuzzy whole
> Unit of analysis =  collaborative project, an abstraction
> Products of analysis = practices, actions, activities, "system of
> activity", division of labor, etc. etc., a concrete whole
>
> E.g. in my research
> Substance of analysis = "workers' struggle", a fuzzy whole
> Unit of analysis = "strike", an abstraction
> Products of analysis = strike's "neoformations": organizations (strike
> committee, trade union, parties, etc.); forms of collective consciousness
> and memory; leadership; "democracy from below"; "bureacuracy"; etc. etc, a
> concrete whole
>
> E.g. Capital
> Substance of analysis = capital relation, a fuzzy whole
> Unit of analysis = commodity relation, an abstraction
> Products of analysis = fetishism; exploitation; labor theory of value;
> primitive accumulation; etc etc., a concrete whole
>
> So the problem with forcing the entire social fabric or "context" into
> project is that it creates yet another "system" instead of a unit of
> analysis. Of course projects do not exist in isolation, but I think in
> Andy's text and especially in ITA this is dealt with relations between
> projects, which then constitute new wholes, i.e. new projects.
>
> Talking in Marx's terms, the search for a suitable unit of analysis (here
> project as UoA for activity) represents the movement towards the abstract,
> looking for the "cell-form" or the simplest determination of the
> phenomenon, while "bringing in the social fabric" is part of the movement
> of the abstract to the concrete, exploring the many determinations of the
> subject-matter.
>
> I think Vygotsky also solved the problem of "context" in a brilliant way
> by his concept of social situation of development, which brings in "the
> social fabric" from the *perspective* of the object of analysis.
>
> Best,
>
> Brecht
>
> Quoting Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu>:
>
>> I read it, Andy, several times. I've copied below the final section in
>> its entirety. Much of that final section seems to be discussing problems
>> with the definitions of  "activity" in Activity Theory, and it's a bit hard
>> to fish out the positive statements about "project."  Here are some
>> excerpts with my responses:

> [...]

Carol A  Macdonald Ph D (Edin)
Developmental psycholinguist: EMBED
Academic, Researcher, Writer and Editor
Honorary Research Fellow: Department of Linguistics, Unisa