Re: [xmca] voice in relation to normative and relational knowledge

On 15 March 2013 21:39, kellogg <kellogg59@hanmail.net> wrote:

>   Huw:
>

> Of course, "Welsh" can be perfectly prototypical (I bet you can sing!) and
> there is probably a lot more scientific literature on the origins of
> Britishness. So I assume you are really talking about syntagmatic,
> everyday, weakly framed and weakly classified understandings versus
> paradigmatic, strongly classified and framed ones, the distinction at the
> root of Basil Bernstein's idea of "pedagogical device" and at the bottom of
> his very controversial distinction between a restricted code and an
> elaborated one.

Semantic framing maybe a useful way to go, but I am not sure that would
pick up on the distinction accurately.

I do not see that the pedagogic aspects are central to my question, unless
it so happens that the channel through which the conceptual appreciations
are acquired retain communicative style.

The distinction I am interested in, from a psychological perspective, is
relating to memories "as is" or to relate to one's recollections actively
(thinking).  Hence there is room for confusion around learning conceptual
material -- one can repeat the formulation that a square's sides are of
equal length in a rather unthinking way.

For example, I think we can discern at times when people speak in a
reflective, thoughtful and exploratory way as opposed to a dogmatic or
"everyday" (normative) manner.

Jay's book with the transcripts may be useful, thanks.  I don't have too
much time to wade through theoretical frameworks right now.  Transcripts
with analysis revealing this distinction is what I'm after.

Thanks for your prompts, and interest, David.

Huw