Re: [xmca] Re: microgenesis?

On 14 October 2012 06:18, Greg Thompson <greg.a.thompson@gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if I responded off list first or if Andy did, but we have been
> having a conversation offline that I thought I'd put online.
>
> I find "lytic" to be a fascinating way of describing development if one
> reads the word literally as meaning "dissolving" or "loosen" instead of
> Andy's gloss as "gradual," which, imho, loses important potential of the
> meaning of "lytic development."
>
> Having worked doing cell culture in a lab before, I often had to "lyse"
> cells. This is when you introduce an enzyme or other mechanism to break up
> the cell wall so that you are left with the constituent parts (e.g.
> mitochondria, DNA, mRNA, and lots of other proteins). You can then perform
> further tests on the lysed material that can cause the material to be
> organized in a way that would otherwise have been impossible (e.g., perform
> electrophoresis to see what mRNA are present).
>
> It seems like there is something very important in this sense of the word
> "lytic" for understanding development. It seems that part of what is being
> described here is the sense in which developments can actually involve the
> breaking down (lysing!) of previous psychological "structures" or
> "formations". This seems to me to be a wonderful corrective to the commonly
> assumed model of development as simple linear progression.
>
> For example, there is a classic example of very young kids who can
> conjugate verbs correctly b.c. they have memorized each conjugation for
> each tense (e.g. run - present tense, ran - past tense), but then when they
> start to learn the rules of conjugation, they sometimes will no longer
> produce them correctly b.c. some past tenses don't fit the patterns that
> they are learning - e.g., past tense of "run" is not "runned". So their
> memorized understanding of "ran" must be "lysed"! The result is that from
> the dissolving (loosening?) of that prior structure of meanings a new
> meaning emerges (here the formal rule: add "ed" to the present tense of a
> verb to make it past tense).
>
> Does this jive with others' understandings of "lytic development"?

On the whole, yes.  Although I would be cautious to make those particular
inductions.

The loosening needn't dissolve the functional capability of the
"sub-components", and likewise there is nothing to to prevent multiple
functional capabilities for conjugating verbs, with a dominant method
primed for a particular context and way of relating.

Huw