Re: [xmca] Measuring culture

Larry and Rob:

I wasn't really accusing Rob Lake of being a structuralist succubus--I think I would probably not accuse him of anything except an incurable affability, an attitude of ready openness towards people and ideas that I often wish I had more of.

I was responding to the TED talk on N-grams, which seems to me an example of corpus linguistics redux: the behaviorist fallacy that with infinite instantiation we approach the idea of infinite potential.To me the idea that a very large number of instances is a "snapshot" of meaning potential denies future development; the future is not something that actually shows up in snapshots.

Yes, I guess I see in Larry's Gadamer summary some overlap with what I had to say too, but it's really because the Gadamer stuff seems to me  to lap overmuch, like the Odyssey's shelving sea. I feel that I'm floundering, and I really need some examples of what it might mean to leap out of one's own historicity and above all some examples of why one might wish to do such a thing.

Here are some examples that occurred to me just in the last twenty four hours. See if you agree that they are what Gadamer means. If so, I am more than interested.

EXAMPLE ONE:

 I sometimes use children's counting rhymes to teach my teachers about metricity (they are bound to the written word and find it hard to 'feel' the stress-unstress patterns of English, and this is one of the things that makes it hard for them to grasp prepositions and articles as they bound by in the unstressed sound stream).

My students and I came up with the following, which goes fetchingly with a painting by Delacroix and has a lot of the 'near rhymes" that Chinese poets love (Chinese poetry is rather more tonal than rhyming):

"Will you race?" the lion said
"I will bless the fastest beast"
So the rabbit ran his best
And the lion ate him last

http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/eugene-delacroix/lion-devouring-a-rabbit-1856

Now, try this:

a) "Will you race? the lion said.
b) "I will bless the fastest beast," the lion said.

If you are a native speaker of English, like me, you probably have UP intonation when you say the reporting clause, viz. "the lion said" in a) but not in b). My wife, who is not a native speaker of English, does not intone EITHER reporting clause upwards.

What we can say is that for me, and for most English speakers, the subjective viewpoint of the lion leaks into the reporting clause. Volosinov argues that this is quite a recent historical phenomenon--it's a product of the breakdown of the idea of the all-seeing narrator, and the birth of quasi-direct discourse (and also the extremely recent invention of the quotation mark).

EXAMPLE TWO:

On the Seoul subway, the announcer uses (the Korean equivalents of)  "left" and "right" to indicate which door is opening when the subway reaches a stop. Since most of us are facing the side of the train rather than facing forward or back, this deictic is essentially ambiguous. However, it never causes any confusion whatsoever, because the hearers always adopt the point of view of the train driver, no matter how they are standing.

I have observed the same response in allegedly "egocentric" children, who consider that left and right used by the teacher always assumes that the teacher is facing the children, even when this contradicts their own left and right and even when the teacher is facing the blackboard.

EXAMPLE THREE:

Yesterday evening I sat down with a former supervisee who is studying gesture. Although I am no longer involved in research with children, I am still very interested in this topic, because I can see in the videos that he has brought that the children are using gestures for three quite specific purposes:

a) They are using gesture to locate the stress--even when the word itself is absent because the child cannot recall it.

b) They are using gesture to try to displace a misplaced stress. Because they are very used to reading, stresses come monotonously at the ends of sentences, and they use gesture to move the stress towards the new information in the sentence.

c) They are using gestures to enact meaning--they are trying to replace meaningless 'beat' gestures with pointing gestures or metaphorics (e.g. the ubiquitous 'container' gesture we see all over the TED talk!)

Mr. Kim, on the other hand, insists they are using gesture for one purpose only--to recall words that they cannot remember. When I ask him how this works, he gives me a quote from Ausubel and says that the sentence is stored in various places in the brain and the gesture helps to assemble it.

I point out that there can be no empirical evidence whatsoever to back up such a claim (we cannot dissect the child's brain and recover pieces of sentence from it, and even if we could it would hardly explain how gesture might reassemble them). And there is actually quite a bit of evidence that contradicts it (e.g. the child says "Let's go picknee" instead of the correct "Let's go on a picnic" and one can hear another child whispering the wrong sentence to him just before he uses it).  But he will not look beyond his Ausubel.

Frustrated, it occurs to me that Mr. Kim really has a EUROPEAN rather than an ASIAN idea of the social: families do grow out of the legal association of individuals, and nations from leagues of city states. So too do sentences grow out of the various functions of the human mind/brain. He will write a very good thesis, I am sure. But I am also very glad that I am no longer supervising it!

David Kellogg
Hankuk University of Foreign Studies