Re: [xmca] adult affordances

Greg,

Maybe your recognition that everyone is connected to everything else - the magician's handkerchief - is part of the solution, not part of the problem. Here is more from Bonfil Batalla's writing on the characteristics of Mesoamerican culture:

	"There is a unity of human beings and the natural world, which is the reference point for human knowledge and abilities as well as for work, the specific way of obtaining sustenance. This unity is also present in human plans, in the capacity for imagining as well as observing nature, in the willingness to have dialogue with it, in human fears and hopes faced with forces beyond human control.
	"Of course, this occurs in all cultures, but in Western culture there is an effort to separate and specialize in distinct aspects of a unitary reality. The poet eulogizes the moon, but the astronomer studies it. The painter re-creates the forms and colors of the countryside while the agronomist understands soils. The mystic prays… There is no way, in Western logic, of unifying all these things in a common understanding, as does the Indian.
	“It is difficult to comprehend many characteristics of Mesoamerican civilization if one does not take into account one of its most profound dimensions: the conception of the natural world and the human being’s place in the cosmos. In this civilization, unlike that of the West, the natural world is not seen as an enemy. Neither is it assumed that greater human self-realization is achieved through greater separation from nature. To the contrary, a person’s condition as part of the cosmic order is recognized and the aspiration is toward permanent integration, which can be achieved only through a harmonious relationship with the rest of the natural world. By obeying the principles of the universal order, human beings fulfill themselves and meet their transcendent destiny. Thus we can see that work, the effort applied to obtain from nature that which humans need, has a different meaning from its meaning in Western civilization. It is not a punishment, but a method of harmonious adjustment to the cosmic order. A positive relationship with nature should be achieved on all levels, not just the purely material one of physical labor. For that reason it is impossible to separate ritual from physical effort, empirical knowledge from the myth that provides its full meaning within the Mesoamerican cosmic vision” (26-27).

I suspect that the children who Elinor Ochs was studying have come to see work as a chore, to be avoided if possible, minimized when unavoidable. They have come to assume that people must pit themselves against one another if they are to succeed.

Martin